Friday, April 2, 2010

Update from Phyllis Schmid

Hi,

My flights to PA went well but I was really weary when Jeff and I finally got to Amy's at about 2:30 am. I loved having a chance to talk with Jeff on the drive home. It was hard to leave what we'd been living in for 2 1/2 months to arrive back in the United States where no one else was dealing with tent cities, demolished buildings and damaged lives. In the Miami airport where I was waiting for my flight to Philadelphia the floor kept shaking off and on. My heart beat faster and immediately thought - "earthquake!" but I looked around and no one was paying any attention to it.
I kept wanting to say something to someone but knew it would sound crazy since no one else was reacting. I think that feeling will be with me for a while.

David is so busy getting ready for his class and tying up all the loose ends before the McMartins leave tomorrow. I am including an email David sent this morning. This is some of the news he sent out today and will bring you more up to date since some of this news surprised even me. I did not know about the people leaving campus. I knew some had left but it sounds like the temporary tent city has closed much sooner than I thought it would be.

Right now things are moving towards a get together with anyone interested in seeing us on May 8th in the afternoon in Lancaster. Time and location are not known at this time but Amy will post it here. This is just a chance to see people all together and not try to spread ourselves too thin.

There is also a link on Facebook with pictures you might be interested in viewing. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haiti-Alumni-Association/113823438630636?v=wall

I am glad to be here experiencing the beautiful signs of spring and renewal in PA. I pray each of you will rejoice in God's blessings during this weekend of celebration of Christ's resurrection. He is RISEN!

Love to all of you,
Phyllis
***********************************************
From David:
What a surprise this morning at 6 am when I walked the dog. The tent city on Bolosse campus was being dismantled. Yes, everyone is gone and no problems. Let me explain.

The Haitian government declared schools were to open on April 5. The UEBH decided to use that date to encourage people to move off campus and return to their communities or to established displacement communities developed by international aid agencies in concert with the Haitian government. Two weeks ago the UEBH posted a notice on all the entrance gates and spread the word that people were to be off campus by April 3. Some started moving off the early part of the week but there were still people in all 4 sections. Section 4, at the end of the campus by the shop, emptied on Thursday and the tarps were taken down. This morning when I got up people were tying up their belongings and moving off in the other 3 sections.

A number of people came up and thanked me for opening up the campus to receive and provide for them in their time of need. My eyes began to water and I choked up. We have been through a lot as the crisis brought us together. It was another way in which I bonded with the Haitian people in a way that is hard to explain. My heart pained for them knowing that many would still face difficult days ahead of them.

Where are they going? Many are returning home to residences that are habitable but in need of repair. They do not have the money but somehow will manage. Others have lost homes and will live under some type of covering in their neighbor's yards. Some may move to the official communities developed for displaced people in La Plaine, a suburb of Port-au-Prince. I helped one lady make that move and paid for a tap-tap pickup truck to take her. She lost everything in her collapsed house in the next community to Bolosse where the campus is located.

What is the next phase of recovery? On campus we still need to put the razor wire on the rebuilt walls. The campus cistern is holding. We completed the work on Pastor Tony' s house yesterday, the campus residence most severely damaged. We will paint the interior rooms this next week.

Then we will work on the remaining residences that need fixing. I am finding more and more significant cracks in our house as I have had time to examine it better. The next major project is to rebuild the retaining walls that put some residences at risk. We hope to have all these projects completed by the end of July.

We still need to demolish the Seminary building and the apartment complex. Both are still standing. That will be done this summer by July, Lord willing.

We still are focusing on the communities around the campus and see how we can continue to help people. Yes, they left the campus but life is still hard and a challenge for many. Since McMartins and Schmids are taking their R&R in April, this will be evaluated and acted on this summer.

I want to, thank all of you for your part in the crisis and recovery process to date. We could not have done it without the Lord's help and your personal effort and presence. Words cannot express my personal appreciation for what each one of you did. The demonstration of Christ's compassion and love has marked many. Many came to Christ while a part of the tent city.
You marked my life with your presence too and have become a part of the extended family of CrossWorld.

Blessings on you all this Easter season.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment