Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Update from Phyllis

Hi Everyone,

There were 21 at Cindy's on Saturday for Thanksgiving.  I did the turkey, stuffing, gravy, green bean casserole.  We also had other vegetables, rice and beans, goat meat in sauce, onion tart (pie), homemade rolls, cranberry layered salad.  We had a Haitian apple pie and pecan pie and a birthday cake for one of the kids.  It was delicious and fun. We had a time of sharing and songs in Creole which especially encouraged my heart

Then Sunday our morning service was the end of 2 weeks of evangelistic conference.  We had two different choirs 5 special numbers.  The church was packed to overflowing and a number went forward for salvation.  The special speaker was excellent.  A normal comment here if asked if someone is saved is "my father was saved (converted), my mother was saved and I grew up in the church and I'm saved".  The speaker pointed out that God doesn't have grandchildren He has children.  Just because you are raised by Christian parents doesn't mean you are saved - it is a personal decision you must make.  He also reminded us that it isn't about being "religious" but about a "relationship" with Jesus Christ.  It was very well done.


In talking with a leader in the church we found that his wife had been driving in the park area near the palace on Saturday, I think, and a bullet went through her driver’s side window and hit the windshield.  She was not hurt but scared, as we can all imagine.  God surely protected her and we praise Him for that.  There have been demonstrations in different area but nothing like that was happening when she was driving by.  One day when Cindy, Lauren and I were coming back from grocery shopping we saw police in “riot” gear running towards a group near the palace.  We took a different direction!

We ladies in CrossWorld are gearing up for our ladies retreat in the mountains above Port-au-Prince December 3 after we attend the Christmas Bazaar at Quisqueya Christian School.  There are many parts I look forward to but the cooler weather on the mountain is definitely one of them.  We have two ladies coming from Florida from someone’s supporting church who are coming to share with us and “just love on us” is what we’ve been told.  We finish on Wednesday and then will have to push to get ready to leave on Monday the 13th. 

The plan is still on for David’s sister to move from Florida to Pennsylvania on Dec. 19th but David will not have to fly down to drive her up.  That is a huge relief for him.  We will be together with Mel’s family and Joanne for Christmas this year so it should really be a fun family time.  Too bad Randy and Debi and families can’t be with us too.  We are hoping to see some special friends in Phila and DuBois and otherwise just enjoy family. 

I was able to contact my sister on SKYPE on Thanksgiving afternoon and to see her.  She recognized me on the computer screen.  She looked so good and it was wonderful to see her family and know they were all there with her.  She didn’t really talk to me but I could see in her eyes and her hand waving that she knew it was me.  I could see a peace in her face that was not there when I left her.  She has adjusted well to the nursing home environment for which I really praise the Lord.

I pray Thanksgiving was a blessed time for you and yours and that you will enjoy a Christmas filled with rejoicing in the gift of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

Love,
Phyllis for David too!

No comments:

Post a Comment