Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Brief update from Phyllis Schmid

Greetings from Haiti!

I am overwhelmed by all the birthday wishes I have received from people on Facebook. It was fun to open the email this morning and see them all though. I do not get on FB very often because I really do not know what I'm doing on it. But I can see how people can enjoy it for keeping in touch with friends. I also opened a card with a special letter in it from a dear friend of my mom's. She shared with me among other things how happy my mom and dad were at my arrival after dad returned from the war. Her letter will be kept as one of my "treasures"!

I was laid low for about 4 days with a nasty stomach bug that really wiped me out. Thankfully that was last weekend and not this coming week with so much going on.

Today won't be a normal "birthday" type day. I'm baking cookies this am and preparing for a team of 3 men coming tomorrow. Judy, little Ani and friend, Bonita, are coming from the Plateau today to stay with us for a while.

David is driving out to a town on the coastal road where there is a 40' container holding many supplies including the "Quonset Hut" being put up on the campus for storage. He went out yesterday and hoped not to have to go back today but things didn't turn out that way. It is VERY HOT heavy work inside that metal container under the tropical Haitian sun in the middle of the day. But that is the way it is.

David goes out in our pickup and the dump truck goes along with some workers. They take water and David insists they take breaks because of the heat. Bruce Robinson returns from the north coast of Haiti tomorrow to work with 2 men coming from Florida tomorrow to put up the"hut" so David needs to have the parts here in Port. Bruce has put these up before in his community development work in the northwest. We really appreciate his help. Last week they spent time digging and doing the foundation for the building. Please pray for safety in all the travel and work going on these days.

Duane and Beth Brown arrive on the 12th of June. Beth will stay a week and Duane for a month. He has a friend coming to help him later in the month. Cindy's brother-in-law and nephew come for a while to help too. Repairs to our home are scheduled in somewhere so that will be interesting to live and function while getting some of the cracks repaired inside and out.

Thursday is graduation for the seminary and then there is to be a faculty retreat Friday - Sunday. Sunday is our "40th" wedding anniversary. Again, there won't be the normal chance to celebrate that either because of the faculty retreat but trust me McMartins and Schmids are planning a time at the beach in early August and hopefully nothing will interrupt those plans. McMartins will be celebrating their 35th anniversary and we can celebrate David's birthday so we really look forward to that.

Still many decisions to be made in all the planning ahead. Continue to prayf or wisdom on the part of STEP administration and board as they look to the future and seek God's will in planning.

This is the day the Lord has made, we WILL rejoice and be glad in it!

Love, Phyllis

No comments:

Post a Comment