Thursday, November 4, 2010

Update from Phyllis Schmid

Well, I arrived back from La Pointe today, Wednesday, instead of waiting for Friday due to the fact that a weather upset named Tomas is headed our way.  It seems to fluctuate from a Hurricane to a tropical storm but either way it could drop a lot of rain on Haiti. We know many of you are aware of this and are praying. We appreciate it. David is parking our truck and the mission truck out in the open instead of under trees as a precaution.

My time at La Pointe with Lois and the instructors of the CEF teacher training course went very well and was a special encouragement to me. This was the second time I've done this with this group of women. The laughter, fellowship and worship times together were a blessing to me. They've invited me back for the next seminar so I'll be looking for additional craft ideas. Anyone with simple ideas using things available here like small hand sewing projects, things with paper, glue, etc would be great.

While I was there the mission hospital treated around 10 cases of cholera and all survived although it was "touch and go" for some of them for awhile. Today we heard that they have more cases that have come into the hospital. Please pray for people. If they get to medical care to be treated it can have a good result. It has people very concerned but it that makes them more cautious that helps keep the spread down maybe. The year 2010 will be remembered in Haiti for many years for the quake, cholera and now maybe Hurricane Tomas.

As I sat in the plane getting ready to fly home yesterday. I wished I'd taken pictures. It is not the smallest plane I've ever been in but it isn't too big either. Because of the weather in the area it was quite a bumpy ride down. Then because there is only one landing strip and an American Airlines flight was going in ahead of us we had to circle out over the ocean. It was beautiful to see the different colors of blue in the water but then as we came close to land you could see the pollution of erosion for a long distance from shore. 

All for today. With the storm coming we may not have good internet connection for a few days but will let  you know how things go as soon as we can. Thanks so much for all your prayers.

Love,
David and Phyllis

No comments:

Post a Comment