Monday, January 18, 2010

Friday update

I know some of you are hearing from many different sources including our kids who post things from us so if I repeat the news just ignore it.

There is not a lot of new information. We continue to have up to 2000 on campus to sleep at night. McMartins home is stable because of the recent work done on it after the Hurricane damage. Also they have restricted people from going into that yard and higher up the hill. There are tarps set up and stretched out over people wherever we could do it. McMartins are now sleeping inside their house. We’ve been outside – David on the patio on foam cushions and me on the swing with some chair cushions. For those of you who know me well – I do NOT do well with any kind of insect and the first night outside I covered myself up completely. The last two nights I said “its you and me Lord” (and 2000 other people out here) so please keep any rats, tarantulas, centipedes or ANYTHING from biting any of us and I slept both nights off and on. I did have a newborn baby crying beside me and others talking and or singing when there was an aftershock but all in all I slept a little.

I am reminded God doesn’t stockpile grace He gives it as we need it”.

A Haitian friend, Antoine, for those who know him came and talked to me for a while today. He wanted me to tell David to be sure to have good security with so many people on campus especially at night. He was very concerned for us. What a sweet man – he’s known David since David was a child here.

David needs to take it a little slower but in an emergency (and in life generally) he only has one speed and that is fast forward. They just recovered a body of a student and have buried him on campus with the family’s permission. They will move him eventually if that is possible. It was hard on the men doing this. The students are some of those David’s taught this year. It is so sad but he is with the Lord. I just pray he didn’t suffer. Don’t know whether they feel there is still one students under the rubble.

People are attempting to get medical supplies to us and also other needed supplies. God is good and people are remaining cooperative. Aftershocks continue and it would help everyone if they would just stop.

All CrossWorld missionaries are safe. Susie Day was in her parent’s home here when it collapsed and God spared her life. But it was a close call and traumatic for their family.

Thank you to all who have written and are praying. I’m sorry we can’t answer everyone individually. We appreciate your prayers more than we can ever say.

Phyllis

No comments:

Post a Comment