Thursday, January 21, 2010

Update from Mom today (with good reminder from Susie Day)

I am finding it difficult to do daily or even every other day updates.

There is much to do to just function. One of these days things may slowdown a little. Please do not worry about us. We did have the other quake yesterday morning but no additional damage here.

Cindy had convinced me to sleep in our bedroom the night before the 6.1quake and we definitely slept better BUT then I was in the back of the housewhen the other quake hit. David was already up and yelled for me to leave.Imagine being in a waterbed and trying to get out in a hurry. Glad therewere no cameras. Have had 2 aftershocks this morning.

Susie Day sent us the following this morning from the states. She and thechildren arrived there safely earlier this week.

*****************************************

Dearest friends & family,

On the morning of the earth quake, January 12, I had my usual daily time with God where I use the Daily Bread Devotional & I have started to read through the Bible using their schedule. My other devotional book was atour home in Thomassin, as I was house sitting my parents home in RueNerrette, Petionville.

A few days later, I wanted to see what the devotional was that I had missed for the day of the quake. I wanted to share with you. It could not have been said better. I know everyone is very busy and focused. Take time out this morning to read this before you start your day ahead!

"LET ME PREPARE YOU for the day that stretches out before you. I knowexactly what this day will contain, whereas you have only vague ideas aboutit. You would like to see a map, showing all the twists and turns of your journey. You'd feel more prepared if you could somehow visualize what is onthe road ahead. However, there is a better way to be prepared for whateveryou will encounter today: Spend quality time with me.

I will not show you what is on the road ahead, but I will thoroughly equipyou for the journey. My living Presence is your companion each step of theway. Stay in continual communication with me, whispering My name wheneveryou need to redirect you thoughts. Thus, you can walk through this day withyour focus on Me. My abiding Presence is the best road map available."

Exodus 33:14 John 15:4-7 (Bible verses)

This take from "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young

God bless each of you in all your efforts to help Haiti Family & Friends!!

Love,
Susie Weaver Day

******************************************************

The building so damaged in the first quake continues to settle and the men are no longer going in to try to retrieve anything. They did that the firstfew days but feel it is too dangerous now.

I will not be able to write for prayer each time we have men going out inthe trucks. Today David and Mark Bradley, one of our CrossWorld firstresponders, have gone out to pick up Roger See and 2 other men coming tohelp us in our first response organization. David will drop off supplies atJehu's and they will check in at distribution centers.

Cindy and I have kind of worked out a little system. We are eating our mainmeal in the evenings at her place because she doesn't have people in heryard and it is a little more private. I've been having the food preparedhere by me or others. We were able to give out some food assistance thatarrived from Judy Dilus in Anse Rouge.

To walk from my house to Cindys my back yard is an obstacle course. I usethe yard in the daytime because I can see all the strings and ropes tied upto my clothes lines, trees, etc. and can duck under them. After dark I use my steps and the road to get there. The latrine is built off behind their house. They are also building another latrine down behind nearer Muchmore's old house. Leadership is going to announce some regulations for people staying on campus. One will be they must use the latrines if they want to stay on campus. It is already a problem. Glad for nice candles to burn for the odors.

We received a shower bag from Robinson - for us and Mcmartins houses and I set it up last night. They really work well but I have to figure out how tohang them high enough to help the tall men in the house use it better.

The STEP women have organized some children's classes in the afternoons.Friday they hope to show a film to the children outside.

They took a census and we have 600 families - 2500 adults and 1600 children sleeping on the campus at night. The numbers fluctuate but that is whatthey registered. Many leave during the day but we pack them in at night. Usually there is singing in the evenings before people turn in for thenight. I love to hear so many voices joining together in hymns.

The community leaders are trying to get set up for distribution of food aid when it comes. We have a couple of sources promising to get food to us. Food and water is available in our area but people are putting the prices up of course. We've received medical supplies and also some doctors have arrived to help on campus.

Our new little fridge is working. We changed generator hours again to from8 am to 8 pm. We had taken it to get looked at before the quake but had notstarted using it. It is working well for us and I'm so thankful. I have shut the old green one down now. We certainly got our money's worth out ofthat one.

God is giving daily strength. Pray for the men as they get things set upand organized to be able to provide the best help and encouragement available to the families in our area.

Pray for me as I handle the actual cash we receive and keep records.

Love to all,
Phyllis

Additional pictures to be added soon

No comments:

Post a Comment