Monday, January 18, 2010

Saturday Skype Conversation with Mom

I cleaned it up because our conversations were a bit disjointed. And I tried to correct our spelling. :0)

A young man I recognize but don't remember the name just came and brought me two buckets of water because he heard the missionaries were having trouble with water. It made me cry.

Things will get scarce soon. Food is not a problem for us and I will share but we are eating very carefully. This may be my answer to a diet. I don't even hardly have an appetite but know we must eat something.

I have had sponge baths but not been able to wash my hair and the silver is getting a bit tarnished!! (I told her she is Beautiful! :0}). Dad was able to get a shower at Jacques last night as there is still enough water in his little cistern and after finding the body and burying it they really needed one.

It took them 6 hours to dig the man out. (I asked where they buried him) I didn't ask but they took the body down the hill from the bible school intersection in the truck. Still no word on the second man, but they will know if there is more odor today.

Today, they (assuming she meant campus leadership) are meeting and will make plans for the immediate few days. Someone will be leaving campus today in a truck, either Daddy or Bruce (McMartin) to check on Jehu and boys if they can get there. They will look for supplies too but that may be impossible anymore.

Judy (Muchmore) Dilus sent 3 - 5 gallon Culligan water jugs yesterday. I worry that she will run short too. We slept in the living room last night and had only small aftershocks. We both rested but the nights were short.

We are going to try to get people organized on campus today. We want to tell them that people can meet in groups to sing and pray but no one with a megaphone needs to lead it. Daddy had to stop one man at 10 pm because he was going on and on and getting all hyper like they do. I love it when groups sing normally the hymns but the shouting and yelling doesn't calm anyone. I woke up and laid on the couch humming “Great is Thy Faithfulness” and “He Giveth More Grace”. We KNOW people are praying and appreciate it more than words can say.

(I asked her how she was holding up) Oh I'm amazed at the strength God gives even to the weakest of us all. Dad is using Aunt Cindy as his "secretary" for the most part and I sure appreciate it because it just seems to overwhelm me right now. My organizational skills are weak at the moment. I am working to get the house in at least a little order so we can find things when dad asks me for them. All my shelves have crumbled to the floor; the shelves in my office and dad's home office and Bible school office (they haven't even attempted to get in there yet) and small bookshelves in the bedrooms. Everything fell.

I can't tell you how helpful it is to have Toby tied here at the house. There are going to be looters everywhere and things have already been stolen from people. You see young men just wandering around. The people with Mme Lucien just beside the patio help tell people the dog will bite them if they come to the door, so they call me out to see people.

Dad or I walk Toby around to do his business and people are leery of him but he doesn't bother anyone and we explain if they treat him right he will not hurt them. I just don’t want anyone to poison him.

I asked “Where are you putting all of the people?”) Everywhere up to the light pole by McMartins driveway. The residents who lived in the motel are in Express now because the motel is not liveable. People are “camping” in our yards front and back, in the yard across the road from us, in Laloi's (See’s house, house at center of campus) yard, basketball court (hospital area) and down towards Jeanty house.

Below are two amazing stories from Pastor Edner Jeanty (Haitian Pastor, a good friend of our family)

My office manager at Barnabas was supposed to be in class at the University of Port-au-Prince when the earthquake hit. She "strongly felt" that she should not go inside the classroom but sit on a seat outside. Some classmates urged her to go in, but she said Jesus told her to sit in that chair until 5pm. She was among the 15 or so students who got out alive because she was not inside a room.

One bank employee from our church "felt" she should not go to work that day. Her boss called and insisted. She was willing to be fired over this. The 3-story building collapsed. She is still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment